Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Carol Contest--free Watts biography for winners!

Do you like to make music? Here's a fun Christmas contest for you!

Make a youtube music video of yourself (or with family members or friends) singing my latest Christmas carol and send me the link with permission to post it on my blog and site. You can use the Vince Treadway music written specifically for the carol or compose your own music. Now here's for the prize: Create a warm appropriate version (the best) and I'll post your music video on my New Reformation Hymns website AND ship a free signed hardback copy of my newest book, THE POETIC WONDER OF ISAAC WATTS. Send your youtube link to douglas@bondbooks.net. But hurry! Christmas is coming! Deadline, 12/20/2013

What Wonder Filled the Starry Night (Long Meter, LM, 8.8.8.8.)

A CAROL of CHRIST’S FIRST and SECOND COMINGS.   
This hymn/carol took me several years to write. Carols are some of the church's most endearing hymnody, and so it was with fear and trepidation that I set my imagination to work on one. My good friend Vince Treadway, organist extraordinaire and composer, crafted the tune Wonder for it below.

What wonder filled the starry night
          When Jesus came with heralds bright!
I marvel at His lowly birth,    
          That God for sinners stooped to earth.
       
His splendor laid aside for me,
          While angels hailed His Deity,
And shepherds on their knees in fright
          Fell down in wonder at the sight.

The child who is the Way, the Truth,
          Who pleased His Father in His youth,
Through all His days the Law obeyed,
          Yet for its curse His life He paid.         
         
What drops of grief fell on the site
          Where Jesus wrestled through the night,
Then for transgressions not His own,
          He bore my cross and guilt alone.

What glorious Life arose that day
          When Jesus took death’s sting away!
His children raised to life and light,
          To serve Him by His grace and might.

One day the angel hosts will sing,  
          “Triumphant Jesus, King of kings!” 
Eternal praise we’ll shout to Him
          When Christ in splendor comes again!

                             Douglas Bond (December 16, 2010)

1 comment: